MUFG Privacy Statement
Last Updated: March 17, 2023
MUFG Bank, Ltd, and its U.S. affiliates and subsidiaries, (collectively, “MUFG”) respect your privacy. This MUFG Privacy Statement describes the types of personal information we collect, how we use the information, with whom we may share it and the choices available to you regarding our use of the information. We also describe measures we take to protect the security of the information and how you can contact us about our privacy practices.
This MUFG Privacy Statement applies to all the products and services offered by MUFG (including on our websites (“Sites”), product portals (“Portals”) and mobile applications (“Apps”) (collectively, the “Digital Properties”)), except where a product or service has a separate privacy notice that does not incorporate this MUFG Privacy Statement. MUFG also provides certain individuals with supplemental privacy notices, as described below:
- Notices for California Residents: If you are a California resident, please see our California Consumer Privacy Statement.
- Notice for Job Applicants: If you apply for job with us, please see our MUFG Careers Privacy Statement.
Other websites, products, and services of MUFG entities both within and outside of the United States of America contain different privacy statements to this MUFG Privacy Statement, and you are advised to review the privacy statement on each MUFG website.
Information We Obtain
We obtain personal information about you in various ways, such as when you visit our Digital Properties. We also may obtain personal information about you offline, such as when you call, mail or fax us, or interact with us at one of our office or branch locations. In addition, we may obtain information about you when you send or receive payments to or from one of our customers.
The types of personal information we may obtain includes:
- Contact information, such as name, telephone number and postal and email address;
- Login credentials, such as password and security questions and answers;
- Account information, financial history and transaction information, such as account number, routing number and other unique customer identification numbers, credit or debit card information, account balances, payment history, insurance information, income information, assets and investment experience;
- Demographic information, such as age, nationality, date of birth, education or professional information, marital status, ethnicity, race, sex, gender and military or veteran status;
- Government-issued identification information, such as Social Security number or tax identification number, passport or driver’s license data, and other information related to government-issued identification;
- Information provided by vendors and other entities that perform services on our behalf, information services and consumer reporting agencies, including credit history and other consumer report information;
- Video and audio information, such as images, video and audio that may be collected or processed through our security cameras, closed-circuit television, recorded phone lines and other technologies, where permitted by law;
- Information about how you use your mouse or keyboard or how you move your finger over a screen on our Apps;
- Location information based on services you request (e.g., helping you locate the nearest ATM);
- Telephone carrier information, such as network status, customer type, customer role, billing type, mobile device identifiers (IMSI and IMEI) and other subscriber status details;
- Other information you choose to provide, such as through our “Contact Us” feature, emails or other communications, social media pages, surveys, registrations and sign-up forms;
- Publicly-available information, such as from social media services.
When you visit our Sites and Portals, we may obtain certain information by automated means, such as cookies, web beacons, web server logs and other technologies. A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor’s computer or other internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. A “web beacon,” also known as an internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, links web pages to web servers and cookies and may be used to transmit information collected through cookies back to a web server. The information we collect in this manner may include your device IP address, unique device identifier, web browser characteristics, device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, clickstream data, and dates and times of website visits.
When you use our Apps, we also may collect certain information by automated means, such as through device logs, server logs and other technologies. The information we collect in this manner may include the device type used, the mobile operating system, device identifiers and similar unique identifiers, device settings and configurations, IP addresses, battery and signal strength, usage statistics, referring emails and web addresses, dates and times of usage, actions taken on the App, and other information regarding use of the App. In addition, as indicated above, we may collect your device’s geolocation information. Your device’s operating platform may provide you with a notification when the App attempts to collect your precise geolocation. Please note that if you decline to allow the App to collect your precise geolocation, you may not be able to use all of the App’s features or the offers available through the App.
We may use these automated technologies on our Digital Properties to collect information about your equipment, browsing actions, and usage patterns. These technologies help us (1) remember your information so you do not have to re-enter it; (2) track and understand how you use and interact with our Digital Properties; (3) tailor the Digital Properties around your preferences; (4) measure the usability of our Digital Properties and the effectiveness of our communications; and (5) otherwise manage and enhance our products and services, and help ensure they are working properly.
Your browser may tell you how to be notified about certain types of automated collection technologies and how to restrict or disable them. Please note, however, that without these technologies, you may not be able to use all of the features of our Digital Properties. For mobile devices, you can manage how your device and browser share certain device data by adjusting the privacy and security settings on your mobile device.
As part of our ongoing efforts to enhance our online security and protect your information, we may place a private key on your device to help us identify the device as belonging to you. The use of a private key on your device assists you in conducting your online banking transactions.
How We Use the Information We Obtain
We may use the personal information we obtain to:
- Provide our products and services;
- Process and fulfill transactions in connection with our products and services;
- Communicate with you (including providing you with offers and other communications about our products and services), respond to inquiries and offer customer support;
- Establish and manage accounts;
- Report to credit bureaus;
- Verify your identity;
- Personalize your experience on our Digital Properties;
- Advertise and market our products and services;
- Administer participation in surveys, sweepstakes, promotions or other programs;
- Establish and manage our business relationships;
- Provide products and services to our B2B clients and facilitate their end-users’ use of our products and services;
- Perform analytics (including but not limited to market research, trend analysis, financial analysis, and analysis of our customer base), and anonymization of personal information);
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; enhancing, improving and analyzing our products and services; managing our communications; and performing accounting, auditing and other internal functions);
- Authenticate an online transaction or assist you in conducting your online transactions;
- Maintain and enhance the safety and security of our Digital Properties, products and services and prevent misuse;
- Exercise our rights and remedies and defend against legal claims, including claims against our affiliates, subsidiaries, and business partners;
- Protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities;
- Comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards and MUFG policies, including but not limited to those relating to anti-money laundering, economic sanctions, and anti-terrorism; and
We also may use the information in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
Third-Party Analytics Services
We may use third-party analytics services on our Digital Properties, such as Google Analytics. The information we obtain through the Digital Properties may be disclosed to or collected directly by these services. To learn more about Google Analytics, please visit https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/ .
On our Digital Properties, we may obtain information about your online activities to provide you with advertising about products and services that may be tailored to your interests. This section of our MUFG Privacy Statement provides details and explains how to exercise certain choices.
The Digital Properties are not designed to respond to “do not track” signals from browsers.
To learn how to opt out of interest-based advertising, please visit the Digital Advertising Alliance , the Network Advertising Initiative and TRUSTe Advertising Choices .
Information We Share
We may share the information we obtain about you with our affiliates and subsidiaries and with our joint marketing or business partners. We also may share the information we obtain about you with third-party vendors and other entities to perform services on our behalf, such as website hosting, data analytics, advertising, payment processing and other services. In addition, we may share personal information with (1) other companies in connection with co-branded products, services or programs and (2) consumer reporting agencies.
We also may disclose personal information (1) if we are required to do so by law or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena); (2) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities, or self-regulatory organizations; (3) to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights, and those of our affiliates, subsidiaries or business partners; (4) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical or other harm or financial loss; (5) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity or (6) otherwise with your consent or as directed by your representative.
We reserve the right to transfer any personal information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a merger, acquisition, joint venture, reorganization, divestiture, dissolution or liquidation).
Your Rights and Choices
We offer you certain choices in connection with the personal information we collect from you. To update your preferences, limit the communications you receive from us, or submit a request, please contact us as indicated in the How To Contact Us section of this MUFG Privacy Statement. You can unsubscribe from our marketing mailing lists by following the “Unsubscribe” link in our emails.
You may update certain aspects of your account details and settings by logging into your account on our Digital Properties.
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized access, destruction, loss, alteration, disclosure, disposal or use.
When deleting personal information, MUFG takes reasonable precautions to dispose of the personal information through a secure method.
Social Security Numbers
It is MUFG’s policy to protect the confidentiality of Social Security Numbers that we collect in the course of our business. This includes maintaining administrative, technical and physical safeguards against unauthorized access to Social Security Numbers. It is MUFG’s policy to prohibit the unlawful disclosure of Social Security Numbers.
Our Digital Properties are designed for a general audience and are not directed to children. In connection with the Digital Properties, we do not knowingly solicit or collect personal information from children under the age of 13 without parental consent. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13 without parental consent, we will either seek parental consent or promptly delete that information. If you believe that a child under age 13 may have provided us with personal information without parental consent, please contact us as specified in the How To Contact Us section of this MUFG Privacy Statement.
Links to Third-Party Services and Features
For your convenience and information, our Digital Properties may provide links to other online services, and may include third-party features such as apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins. These online services and third-party features may operate independently from us. The privacy practices of the relevant third parties, including details on the information they may collect about you, are subject to the privacy statements of these parties, which we strongly suggest you review. To the extent any linked online services or third-party features are not owned or controlled by MUFG, we are not responsible for these third parties’ information practices.
Personal Information of Other Individuals
Prior to providing another individual’s personal information to MUFG, you agree: (a) to inform the individual about the content of this MUFG Privacy Statement, and any other applicable MUFG privacy disclosure provided or made available to you; and (b) to obtain any legally-required consent for the processing (including sharing) of the individual’s personal information in accordance with this MUFG Privacy Statement and other MUFG privacy disclosures.
Updates to Our MUFG Privacy Statement
We may update this MUFG Privacy Statement from time to time and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our personal information practices. We will indicate at the top of the Statement when it was Last Updated.
How to Contact Us
You can update your preferences, ask us to remove your information from our mailing lists, submit a request or ask us questions about this MUFG Privacy Statement by contacting us at:
MUFG Americas Corporate Headquarters
1251 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020-1104
For general inquiries about our privacy practices, you may also contact us at email@example.com.