As a global financial leader, our expertise is rooted in a 360-year heritage of financial stability and commitment to our clients’ future. We believe that environmental, social and governance (ESG) considerations are essential to achieving sustainable growth.
MUFG has a strong track record with ESG, both internally and as a lender. Our corporate mission – and a key part of our identity – is to be a foundation of strength, committed to meeting the needs of our customers, serving society, and fostering a better world. At MUFG, our goal is to develop specific action plans to align with our commitment to empower a brighter future. For example, through our Carbon Neutrality Declaration, we pledge to achieve net zero emissions in our finance portfolio by 2050 and our own operations by 2030.
We pride ourselves on the strong relationships we’ve built with our clients through steadfast commitment to their success. By combining our ESG expertise and our heritage of client-centricity, we aim to provide our clients with wide-ranging and complementary products, services, and advice to help them meet their financial goals while also staying true to their sustainability mandates.
MUFG is committed to empowering a brighter future. Read our 2021 Sustainability Report for more on our goals and actions toward achieving sustainable growth.
ESG Origination and Client Coverage
Capital Markets Strategy Group
Banking and Securities
Latest ESG and Sustainability Podcasts
Latest ESG and Sustainability Articles
The Role of Finance in the Pursuit of Sustainability
Smart ESG Drives Business Results
Awards - Americas and Global
- Beth Waters, managing director of Project Finance in the Americas at MUFG, was ranked 22nd in A Word About Wind's 2021 Top 100 Women’s Power List.
- MUFG remains one of the top ten global Lead Arrangers in financing clean-energy and energy-smart technologies in 2020, ranking second in Bloomberg’s Clean Energy Finance League Tables.
- MUFG was chosen as a member of the 2021 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index (GEI) for the fifth consecutive year. The GEI tracks the financial performance of public companies committed to supporting gender equality through policy development, representation, and transparency.
- MUFG has been selected for inclusion in the American MSCI Inc.'s MSCI Japan Empowering Women Index (WIN).
- MUFG Union Bank was awarded as a Noteworthy Company by Diversity Inc for diversity in 2020.
- MUFG Union Bank has received full marks for seven consecutive years in the Corporate Equality Index, which measures LGBTQ equality in organizations according to the Human Rights Campaign, the largest LGBTQ advocacy group in the United States.
- In November 2020, a number of initiatives in Japan were evaluated and received the top gold rating on the “PRIDE Index.”