Transformation through Inclusion
At MUFG, inclusion is a value marked by an appreciation of the contributions of every employee.
Our inclusive culture is combined with a commitment to building a diverse workforce. We welcome the unique perspectives of individuals with varying cultural backgrounds and life experiences – each bringing new ideas and innovation, each fueling our transformation in a shifting industry.
Our strategy of inclusion and diversity (I&D) focuses on moments that matter most to our current and future colleagues: hiring, developing, recognizing, and rewarding talent at every level. These are the moments that embed inclusion into the fabric of our business.
This strategy begins at the top with inclusive leadership. It extends to relationships with diverse communities through I&D education and awareness. And it ultimately impacts our clients by enabling us to respond to their changing needs, enhance business opportunities, and achieve transformational growth.
Enterprise Resource Groups
A goal of MUFG ERGs is to encourage our entire organization to embrace inclusive behavior and diverse perspectives and build momentum for our values and vision. ERGs provide a valuable service to our organization and our clients by:
- Promoting personal and professional development through networking and mentorship
- Building community connection
- Bringing recognition to multiple dimensions of diversity
- Assisting with recruitment and promotional advancement
The Power of Partnership
When it comes to inclusion and diversity at MUFG, everyone plays a part. That’s why we built a strong foundation of teams that partner with colleagues across the business to enable and inspire greater inclusion and diversity:
- Leadership Committee for Inclusion and Diversity (LCID): Our LCID is comprised of our Chief Executive Officer and the head of each business unit. This group of executives steers the direction of our inclusion and diversity strategy.
- Business Unit Inclusion and Diversity Councils (BUIDC): BUIDCs work to establish business-specific goals that link to the overall I&D initiatives. They educate line-of-business employees, enable collaboration among peers across MUFG in the Americas to share best practices and resources, and plan initiatives in support of the I&D strategy.
- Diversity Recruiting Team (DRT): Our Diversity Recruiting Team collaborates and partners with colleagues across the bank to attract the best talent across all dimensions of diversity, to build a stronger performing organization and to ensure our workforce mirrors the clients we serve.
- Enterprise Resource Groups (ERG): Our ERGs bring together people with similar interests, focusing on race, generation, veteran status, gender, and sexual orientation. They give voice to important issues, assuring that diverse viewpoints are heard and considered in decisions that affect our colleagues, customers, and communities.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity among colleagues, clients, service providers, and our community includes the following actions:
- Instituted a process to ensure that each business unit has a plan to focus on its workforce, workplace, and marketplace, including ownership by the business unit leaders
- Dedicated resources and funds to philanthropic causes in our communities
- Introduced inclusion & diversity training and learning experiences to all employees, with special sessions designed for executives, managers and hiring managers
Recent Awards & Recognition
Recent Awards & Recognition
- Hispanic Network Magazine, Best of the Best “Top Employer” and “Top LGBTQ Friendly Employer”, 2016-2020
- U.S. Veterans Magazine, Best of the Best, 2017–2020
- Human Rights Campaign, 100% score on Corporate Equality Index, 2014–2020
- Black EOE Journal, Top Employer, Top LGBT-Friendly Employer, and Top Financial & Banking Company, 2010–2020
- Bloomberg, Financial Services, Gender-Equality Index, 2017–2020
- DiversityInc., Noteworthy Company, 2020
- American Banker “The 25 Most Powerful Women in Banking” & “25 Women to Watch” Lists, 2011–2019
- Exelon, Honor Roll, Top Financial Services Business Partners for Diversity and Inclusion, 2017–2020
- ERG & Council Honors Award, Spotlight Impact Award, 2019
- Professional Women’s Magazine, Best of the Best “Top Employer” and “Top LGBTQ-Friendly Employer”, 2016-2020